October 6 After a sunny and warm day the rain started to fall just as the teams kicked off which contributed to a thrilling ten goal game which gave the Jags their first win in all competitions in six games. Strathspey introduced to the team two loan signings from Rothes, Kane Davies and Ewan Neil, who are with us until the end of the end of the year. Fort William took a two goal lead before The Jags pulled back the lead with an own goal on the stroke of half time. The second half was end to end as the rain got harder but in the end Strathspey ran out 7-3 winners.

Kris, James, Craig, Cammy & Kane

Our scorers were Kris Duncan, James McShane,  Craig MacKenzie, Cameron Lisle, Kane Davies and two own goals. With all their troubles on and off the field well played to Fort for putting a competitive team out that gave us all a game to remember.

October 9 After Wednesday’s morale boosting win it was with some confidence that we travelled up the A9 to Dudgeon Park to take on current Breedon Highland League Champions Brora Rangers. Little did we realise what was in store for us. A decent day with little or no wind greeted the teams. Two minutes in we are an own goal down but credit to the team we took the game to the Rangers and equalised with a well worked goal through Craig MacKenzie. For the next 28 minutes we more than held our own before their second goal which was a belter. Loss of concentration before half time saw us concede two sloppy goals in three minutes. So at the break we are 4-1 down. Another give away goal on 50 minutes really knocked our confidence but for 34 minutes we kept them at bay then 3 goals in two minutes was the final embarrassment. It was a long journey back but Scotland’s last minute win over Israel in the World Cup Qualifier at Hampden eased some of the disappointment.

October 13 A much improved team performance at home to Formartine United especially in the first half. The Jags created chances but lacking a goal had to go in at half time 0-0. Two early second half goals from Smith and Lawrence for Formartine set the Jags back but to their credit the team took the game to the visitors with a number of attacks but were rocked on 88 minutes when they conceded a third goal. Seeking consolation after the defeat the team gave 100%.

October 16 The team played well and were disappointed in the ninety third minute to concede a goal which handed three points to Nairn. Over the game the side played well and deservedly led through leading scorer Craig MacKenzie on 19 minutes. It was end to end with both sides creating but failing to take chances until Nairn equalised midway through the second half. The disputed winner came after the assistant referee had flagged to say that the ball had crossed line. That was tough. It was also a positive to have a nearly full a full squad available for selection. No game on October 23 as it is Scottish Cup second round day.

October 23  Preparations for the upcoming week focus attention on our first visit to Glebe Park, Brechin for our Breedon Highland League game. Brechin were relegated from Scottish League 2 last season after being beaten by Kelty Hearts in both play-off legs. Brechin are making their presence felt already in the current Highland League season  and will surely be there or there about come the end of the season. It will be The Jags longest trip of the season.

October 30  D & E provided the coach that left Inverness at 9 and the trip had begun. Forres was the next call where some more players, team management, committee and supporters climbed aboard. One and a quarter hours later we arrived at Kellockbank for our forty minute break to enjoy a hearty breakfast, toast and tea/coffee. 

The food was good and the service excellent and we thank everyone involved for looking after us. Back to the coach and the final leg to Brechin where we arrived early thanks in the main to the Aberdeen by-pass. We had been concerned on the journey about the state of the pitch after everywhere had suffered heavy rain and flooding and when we arrived heard the dreaded words ‘pitch inspection’. Match Referee Greg Soutar duly carried his task in what seemed a very long twenty minutes but to the relief of all he said it is okay to play but there might be problems if it started raining during the game.

In a roller coaster of a first half we took a two nil lead before being pegged back before again taking the lead and by half-time Brechin were leading 4-3. Breathless! There was to be no repeat in the second half of the excitement of the first 45 minutes and Brechin ran out comfortable winners 7-3. Another Jags performance of contrasting halves. Our goals came from Kieran Chalmers, Kane Davies and Kris Duncan. Everyone was well looked after by our hosts before it was time to set off on the journey home at around six o’clock. Another game of what might have been. When the game got underway the sun made an appearance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *